Earlier this year I blogged about my aspirations toward creating some permanent makerspaces in my school library. One of these spaces was the LEGO WALL. It has taken some time and planning, but I am proud to announce that the LEGO WALL is now a reality. I was able to get help from two great staff members, namely our talented Manual Arts teacher and our wonderful Maintenance man (he is our go-to man for all things building or fixing related) to put it all together.
We were grateful for the funding provided by the P&F toward buying 18 base plates and two Classic boxes of LEGO for the project. I have plans to purchase more as we go and as we have the funds.
You can never have too much LEGO.
Building the LEGO WALL was not without its challenges. We learnt some valuable LEGO knowledge along the way as well. Such as how Lego base plates are measured. 48 x 48 does not mean that the base plate is 48 cm square! After drawing up the plans and cutting the backing board, I discovered that I didn’t order enough base plates. Why was this so? Base plates are measured in STUDS not centimetres! Of course they are, silly. How could I not know this?
Base plates are measured in STUDS not centimetres!
Never mind, we had room for a nice boarder now…….. I planned it all along.
The students were really excited, and I had huge line ups for the LEGO Wall after it was opened. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the coming weeks. Many of the students have been sharing their plans with me on what they intend to build next. One group have started to build a marble run. They have asked me if they could leave it up as, “It’s not finished yet, we need to test it.” This is Design Thinking in action.
I’ve already had interest from classroom teachers who would like to use it to extend the classroom learning. One class will be studying recycling and waste management and will use the wall to demonstrate their ideas and create a public awareness campaign. I am excited to see what other learning opportunities arise.
My next step in this project will be to create a bank of Lego challenges for the students to attempt. If anyone has ideas or challenges that they have found successful in this area that they would like to share, I would be most grateful.